Friday, July 28, 2006

Owen Wilson and Steely Dan


While there is no way in hell that I would ever see that crapfest "You, Me and Dupree" (or 99 percent of all the crap playing now), I have to admit, his comments back to Steely Dan were funny.

They claim on their website that Wilson used their song
"Cousin Depree" as the basis for his new movie.

Wilson sez:
"I have never heard the song 'Cousin Dupree' and I don't even know who this gentleman, Mr. Steely Dan, is. I hope this helps to clear things up and I can get back to concentrating on my new movie, HEY 19. "

Now, if you don't get that joke, you're WAY too young.. :)

7 comments:

TFLS said...

You know - 'Cousin Dupree' was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw advertisements for this film. I figured the producers had taken a little artistic license. I didn't know, however, that Steely Dan objected; though I understand. I object to most Owen Wilson movies - save for those he made with Jackie Chan. And I have to say that that 'Hey 19' quip was a stellar comeback!

Tom Harper said...

I'm old enough to get the joke. I don't think I ever heard the song "Cousin Dupree." I loved Steely Dan's earliest albums, but I guess they fell off my radar after that.

Sar said...

What are you saying Mike, you're an old fart? ;)

Mike V. said...

yes, I am indeed old.

and like Tom, I'm not familiar with their newer material.

but, at the least, every rock collection should contain their classic album "Pretzel Logic". Probably Katy Lied, too.

LA said...

The dog in the movie is named Bodhisattva. Okay, I jest.

Perfect comeback from Owen!

Mike V. said...

Good one! :)

he's OK, I guess, but you know this movie is going to suck.

Bottle Rocket was good, though everything Wes Anderson does is good (Rushmore being his swan song).
Wedding Crashers was good, but the comedy of the year was 40 Year Old Virgin..

Chris said...

Here via blogmad.

I just posted about this, this weekend. I have a theory about Wilson/Fagan being in cahootz together and that this whole thing is a publicity stunt.

Chris
My Blog