Friday, October 28, 2005

President Gore?

I've often wondered what would have happened, had the SCOTUS not given the US over to Bush in 2000.
Though no huge fan of Clinton or Gore (I did not vote for Clinton either time) we would have been far better off with Gore than Bush. I did vote for Gore in 2000.
This is what I think in terms of how things would have been different:

He would have listened to reports of possible attacks coming and done something about it.
Had the attacks happened on 9-11, he would have done what was needed in Afghanistan, rather than run a folly for PNAC in Iraq.
There would be NO Patriot Act. One or Two.
The environment would have remained better protected.
He would not have signed that pork filled highway bill, NOR the disgusting new energy bill.
He would not have signed the written-by the credit card companies Banktruptcy bill.
The huge tax cuts for the wealthy would not have happened, and since we would not be at war with Iraq, 200 billion dollars would not have gone down a rat hole.
I believe that Gore would have listened to warnings about levees in the gulf region.
He understands science and history better than Bush and would not say something stupid like "Intelligent Design should be taught along side evolution", nor would he reject Kyoto out of hand.
I don't see Gore filling key SEC or Energy department positions with industry insiders.
And, unlike fake-Christian Bush, I truly believe (and I bet a very large cross-section of Americans would as well) that Al Gore is truly a moral and honest man.

Maybe he should run again in 2008?

4 comments:

Sar said...

I could see Tipper giving him an earful after the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction and censorship running full throttle. But, no one would have died over it. Good post, Mike.

Mike V. said...

Yea, good old Tipper.
I see their sex as in the dark under the sheets for sure.
But Gore is a good man, a stoic one at times, but I think he would have made a good prez..

SheaNC said...

Gore won in 2000. Our government is illegitimate. We would have been far better off with President Gore.

Mike V. said...

you and me both.