Monday, October 09, 2006

I think I might like a Speaker Pelosi

While I will certainly not count my chickens (or my eggs) and I always thought she was a little wacky, I might get used to the idea.

Pelosi says she would drain GOP 'swamp' (AP)

And let me tell you, we are most CERTAINLY up to our collective asses in alligators (look it up).

Her plan for the first 100 hours:

Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

Day Two: Enact all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Time remaining until 100 hours: Raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, maybe in one step. Cut the interest rate on student loans in half. Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds — "I hope with a veto-proof majority," she added in an Associated Press interview Thursday.

All the days after that: "Pay as you go," meaning no increasing the deficit, whether the issue is middle class tax relief, health care or some other priority.

To do that, she said, Bush-era tax cuts would have to be rolled back for those above "a certain level." She mentioned annual incomes of $250,000 or $300,000 a year and higher, and said tax rates for those individuals might revert to those of the Clinton era. Details will have to be worked out, she emphasized.

I have no problem with any of that.
I would also like to add my idea for "saving" Social Security (which is still more than sovent) and that is removing the income cap. If you earn a paycheck, you pay into the fund on that entire figure. Before that is in place, we lower the percentage based on calculations that would allow for lowering it while still increasing the dollars flowing in.
Funds from SS will no longer be allowed to ever be touched in any way for funny accounting in DC. It stands alone from that day forward.

The swamp needs to get drained, of that there is no doubt.
However, the Swamp Thing needs to be removed as well. And his ugly brother.

4 comments:

SheaNC said...

About her "pay as you go" plan, I think the democrats should emphasize that one. People need to know that the dems are the party of fiscal responsibility, not the repukes.

Tom Harper said...

OK, I'm ready for Speaker Pelosi to drain the swamp. Sounds like a plan.

Steve Landis said...

I am 100% behind this type of plan. Should we have the opportunity to enact it, the Republicans will fight it to the death. Sad but true. They no longer care about anything beyond making the swamp as nice a place for them to live as possible.

Mike V. said...

so long as they point the drainage straight into the fucking red states that voted for all these assholes in the first place and supported El Presidente.