Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Biden in '08?

I watched Senator Joe Biden on HBO with Bill Maher and he came off really well.
Actually, damn well.
He was very well spoken and clear in what he thinks needs to be done and makes sense.
Unlike Hilary or Kerry. That's for sure.

Now, I want to be clear, I voted for Kerry, not because I really liked the guy, but because I didn't think Bush deserved to be president anymore. And then some.
In 2000, I voted for Gore because I didn't think Bush should be president, period.
I think in the long run, the more I hear from Gore, the more I am certain we would have been better off with him all this time. I did not vote for Bubba either time (I chose the Libertarian), though in hindsight, I do believe that along with the proper checks and balances (that does not exist today) he did a good job.

Back to Biden.
There were a lot of good quotes, particularly his take on what we need to do in Iraq, but I really liked this one (full quote on the HBO site) about "missed opportunities" by Bush:

"What would have happened if the president had gone and said, right after 9/11, 'I have an energy policy. It's going to be painful. This is what it's going to take, and I expect you to do it.' They would have all responded."

That's an excellent point and I think there were a lot of missed opportunities that were overshadowed but the wants of PNAC..

Check out more info on his web site Unite Our States.

On the collective religion of the right, he made an interesting observation.
He stated that it was a tool for advancement and votes, rather than a path to redemption by the hard right that played to the evangelical types.

Most of us know that, but that's a good way to crystalize it.

He also made it abundantly clear that he has a FAR better understanding of what is going on in the Middle East than Bush does.
I have never heard Bush give a good description of all the players around Iraq. Actually, this is the first time I have heard ANYONE in the US government give a view from how he sees it that was this good.
Now, granted, most people like 30 second sound bites. But they do not always properly explain reality.
"We're gonna get them there before they get us here" does not a policy make..


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gore is a singular freak of nature.

Biden not bad. But as a Republican, I'm having a hard time coming up with one for our side in '08.

Mike V. said...

that's because they are all shills for the idiot religious freaks and in the pocket of big business.

they are not the party of "small government" anymore.

Sar said...

I'm a fan of Real Time, Biden, and this post - especially the last line. Great job, Mike!

Biden's quote about missed opportunities is truly food for thought. I could see myself voting Biden in '08.

SheaNC said...

Yeah, what she said.

LA said...

I like Biden, and I think he's a viable candidate. Is he saying he wants to run?

He'll be a good one to keep an eye on. I think John Edwards is feeling out his options, too.

I'm not a fan nor a hater of Hillary's, but she doesn't have a chance, and therefore, should not run and be devisive. Yeah, I said it. I'm a realist, especially after the pain of 2000 and 2004. Viable candidates only.

Tom Harper said...

I think Biden is very intelligent and well-informed, but I don't think he can win. The Rightwing Noise Machine will have a field day with his college plagiarism scandal. (I don't remember the details, but it screwed him up a few years ago when it was publicized.) Dirt-diggers are a lot more sophisticated these days, and he'll be Swiftboated to a pulp.

I can't think of any Democratic candidate that has a chance. We may have to settle for a moderate Republican. (Don't shoot!)

Mike V. said...

We'll see.
I say get tough and do a fucking hindsight swiftboating of AWOL Bush.

Biden did in fact state that he was going to throw his hat into the race, LA.

He may be a bit too smart for most Americans, though.
Because most of them are stupid and like 30 second sound bites with not much substance.

Although people are not trusting of the Bushman too much lately, they did love all the nothing comments that he made over and over again.

LA said...

tom harper - Your point is well-taken. "Moderate" republican. Question is, does such an animal still exist?

mike - Oh, if Biden's smart, he's finished politically. That was, in hindsight, Gore's problem. Intellects need not apply unless they are oozing with charisma and charm. Because basically, people respond to charisma and charm over anything else. Sad but true. Look how far Reagan went on C&C.

Unknown said...

Biden was awesome on "Real Time" the guy was able to boil it all down to a few witty remarks. I like that. I voted for Kerry too but I wasn't crazy about him. This guy I can really rally behind. He's got the stuff. Unfortunately Hilary will win the nomination. Just my hunch.